UNMARRIED... SO?



At every family gathering, I have three responsibilities. 

1. Greet the family. 
2. Eat jollof rice. 
3. Defend my life choices 

Like clockwork, it never failed. 

I would barely sit down before Aunty Ene snuck up on me like a sore throat and asked the usual question. 

'When are we getting aso-ebi'?" With that fake smile of hers.. 

Argh

"Soon, Aunty", I always said. With a fake smile of my own. 

Only.. No one knew when 'soon' was, and if I'm being honest with myself, neither do I. 

At my age.. I have a stable job, a thriving side gig, rent paid, good friends, and blood pressure that rose everytime I heard 'any good news? ' from my family. 

To them.. Good news meant one thing. Marriage. 

Not my promotion, or something exciting I did, or the fact that I'm finally ticking my bucket lists without looking at my account balance. 

No. It was always marriage. 

Uncle Ikechukwu, or Uncle Iyke as I like to call him, walked up to me with a glass of wine in his hand and a genuine smile across his face.

There was concern in his eyes. 

"You know they mean well. You have to stop being selective, men are scarce"

I felt disappointed that they had roped him into this crusade, because him, I actually liked. 

But 'men are scarce'? Please.. 

There were at least 8 male non-family members here. And half of them were playing draft.

Wait.. Why are there so many male non-family-members at a 3 year-old's birthday party? 

Shoot!!! This was a set up! 

I needed to escape somehow but. How? 

Like a man on cue, someone started walking towards me with 2 glasses. If I was going to slip out of here, it had to be NOW. 

I found my way out of the backyard into the kitchen and just as I was unlocking my car, I hear a voice behind me. 

"Going somewhere?" 

.. To be continued

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Next part has been uploaded. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Next part has been uploaded. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. As uncle iyke mentioned 8 male non-family members are here I already knew it was a set up 😂😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NWOK'OMA..YOU MATTER TOO ❤

Inconvenient Love